The Naval battery was located on the eastern bank of the Yzer estuary near the lighthouse.
A drawing from 1942 made by the resistance already mentions a battery on this spot.
Starting from 01 February 1943 onwards the Germans constructed the naval coastal battery Ramien on this site. It was designated 4th battery of MAA 204 and was equipped with 4 x 10.5 cm FK L/20 (p) guns. Initially the guns stood on open emplacements, but one year later gun casemates were constructed for them, which were ready in May 1944. From the 1st of April 1944, the battery received 4 x 10.5 cm SK L/40 guns. Shortly after the war the gun-casemates were demolished. Arial photos taken in 1953 no longer showed them. But some bunkers for various other functions remain until now because they were situated on military ground. They actually number seven. Their method of construction tell us that these are no standard constructions from 1943 or later, but early navy designs.
The only bunker with walls of 2 m thick (St) is a nice, very interesting kitchen-bunker, Regelbau 645 (1). This model was built from the first quarter of 1943 on. The garage serves as the mobile kitchen. Behind the garage is the storage room.
Kitchen bunker (1) Regelbau 645 Inside the large personal bunker (2)
The largest one is Vf bunker for crew and NCO's, and maybe also officers (2). Inside the bunker there are two large crew-rooms separated by an alley. At the end of the alley there is a T-junction with another alley. Here you see smaller rooms for NCO's and officers. We found another such model to the north of Boulogne.
A smaller Vf crew-bunker (3) lies just behind the kitchen-bunker and has two crew-rooms. It has the floorplan for a 622, but without rifle embrasures.
A third small Vf crew-bunker (4) lies to right of the kitchen-bunker. This lies completely under the ground and has a room for an officer or two NCO's and a crew-room for ten soldiers.
The small Vf personal bunker with the scheme of a 622. The largest, well preserved trench section
A small Vf-bunker with one room was probably intended for ammunition (5). Debris (6) let us suspect that a second bunker of that kind has been demolished.
The fact that there are here two WC-bunkers (7,8) demonstrate that the battery was manned with a lot of men. Moreover, the kitchen bunker and the two toilet-bunkers prove that the navy (Kriegsmarine) paid a lot more attention to the coastal batteries than the army (Heer) did.
Finally you find here also two well preserved trench systems with firing positions and a Tobruk.
Today it is now a nature reserve "Vlaams Natuurreservaat Ijzermonding" with sheep.
Contact : Vlaamse Gemeenschap Afdeling Natuur, Tel/Fax : 32/(0)59/51.87.43