CUB SCOUT ACADEMICS: MUSIC
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MUSIC ACADEMICS BELT LOOP
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain why music is an important part of our culture.
- Pick a song with at least two verses and learn it by heart
- Listen to four different types of music either recorded or five.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MUSIC ACADEMICS PIN
Earn the Music beft loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Make a musical instrument and play it for your family, den, or pack.
- Teach your den a song.
- Play a song by yourself or in a group, in unison or in harmony.
- Create an original melody and/or original words for a song.
- Using a tape recorder, capture natural sounds of the environment or record songs you create, and use your recording as a soundtrack for a short skit. or as background for a movement activity.
- Attend a live musical performance or concert.
- Demonstrate conducting patterns for two songs using two different meters (two-, three-, or four-beat meter) while your adult partner or den members sing or play the songs you have selected.
- Take voice or dance lessons or lessons to learn to play an instrument.
- Create movements to a piece of music without words to demonstrate the moods of the music: happy, sad, calm, excited, playful, inspired.
- Learn about a composer of some music that you enjoy.
GENERAL ACADEMICS REQUIREMENTS
Following are the requirements for earning the Academics belts loops and pins.
- Belt loops and pins are earned only by Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts (not adults).
- Requirements may be adjusted to accommodate the special needs of boys with disabilities.
- Webelos Scouts may earn a belt loop or pin a second time to qualify for Webelos activity badges.
- Boys may earn belt loops more than once; however, leaders should encourage boys to try different requirements and earn the pin. Packs should have a clear policy in place about whether the pack or the boy's family is responsible for the cost of awards earned more than once.
CUB-SAFE MUSIC RESOURCES FOR KIDS
Apple Core - Home of KidBiz - download a song preview and learn the lyrics to these fun songs.
Around the World in 12 Songs With Wawa and Kwala - fun play site you can visit every month to discover the twelve chapters of Wawa and Kwala's story, their twelve songs, and some fun interactive games for kindergarten and preschoolers. In French and English.
Children's Music at Mabel's - includes audio clips of folk and bluegrass songs for kids.
Children's Music List
Children's Music Web - check out Pipsqueaks, a fun-filled music magazine with reviews and activities.
Disney Music Page - from classics like "It's A Small World" to recent favorite "Hakuna Matata," this site will get your toes tapping!
Favorite Children's Music and Products - listen to some of your favorite songs, play connect the dots, or play talk and sing.
KidzSing Garden of Songs - sing-along songs for children, including nursery rhymes, lullabies, and folk songs with words and music.
Mama Lisa's World: Children's Songs of All Nations - children's songs and nursery rhymes from all over the globe presented both in English and their native languages. Many include sound clips and sheet music.
Pitter Patter Music - collection of children's music carefully selected and child tested. Includes rock and roll, classical, lullabies, reggae and more.
Tedd E. Tunes - listen to clips of fun songs for kids. There are also some cool Shockwave games to play.
[ Back To Top ]