CUB SCOUT ACADEMICS: GEOLOGY
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GEOLOGY ACADEMICS BELT LOOP
Complete these three requirements:
- Define geology.
- Collect a sample of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. Explain how each was formed.
- Explain the difference between a rock and a mineral.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GEOLOGY ACADEMICS PIN
Earn the Geology belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Make a plaster cast of a fossil.
- Make a special collection of rocks and minerals that illustrates the hardness scale.
- Give examples of sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks.
- Gather several different types of rocks. Compare them and put them in groups according to physical properties such as color, texture, luster, hardIless, or crystals.
- Describe the effects of wind, water, and ice on the landscape.
- Make "pet rocks" using rocks, paint, and glue-on eyes. Tell a creative story about your pet rocks.
- Draw a diagram showing different types of volcanoes or draw a diagram that labels the different parts of a volcano.
- Make a crystal garden.
- Make a collection of five different fossils and identify them to the best of your ability.
- Make a poster or display showing 10 everyday products that contain or use rocks or minerals.
- Visit a mine, oil or gas field, gravel pit, stone quarry, or similar area of special interest related to geology.
- Visit with a geologist. Find out how he or she prepared for the job. Discuss other careers related to geology.
- Draw the inside of a cave showing the difference between stalactites and stalagmites.
GENERAL ACADEMICS REQUIREMENTS
Following are the requirements for earning the Academics belts loops and pins.
- Belt loops and pins are earned only by Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts (not adults).
- Requirements may be adjusted to accommodate the special needs of boys with disabilities.
- Webelos Scouts may earn a belt loop or pin a second time to qualify for Webelos activity badges.
- Boys may earn belt loops more than once; however, leaders should encourage boys to try different requirements and earn the pin. Packs should have a clear policy in place about whether the pack or the boy's family is responsible for the cost of awards earned more than once.
CUB-SAFE GEOLOGY RESOURCES FOR KIDS
[ TOP ]