CUB SCOUT ACADEMICS: COLLECTING
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE COLLECTING ACADEMICS BELT LOOP
Complete these three requirements:
- Begin a collection of at least 10 items that all have something in common. Label the items and title your collection.
- Display your collection at a pack or den meeting.
- Visit a show or museum that displays different collections.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE COLLECTING ACADEMICS PIN
Earn the Collecting belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Give a talk about your collection to someone other than your family. Give a description of your collection, including a short history. Explain how you got started and why you decided to collect what you do.
- Show how you preserve and display your collection. Explain any special precautions you must take including handling, cleaning, and storage. Note precautions for dampness, sunlight, or other weather conditions.
- Read a book about what you collect.
- Start a new collection of at least 20 items. Label the items, and title your collection.
- Define numismatics and philately.
- Join a club of collectors who share your hobby. This club may be a group of your friends.
- Find out if there is a career that involves what you collect. Find out what kind of subjects you need to study to prepare for such a career.
- If you collect coins or stamps, make a list of different countries in your collection. Explain how to identify each country's issues. Make a list of "clues" that help you identify the origin.
- With an adult partner, visit an online auction and look for items you collect. What does it tell you about rarity and value of the things you collect?
- Use a computer to catalog, organize, and keep track of your collection.
- Help a friend get started on a collection of his or her own.
GENERAL ACADEMICS REQUIREMENTS
Following are the requirements for earning the Academics belts loops and pins.
- Belt loops and pins are earned only by Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts (not adults).
- Requirements may be adjusted to accommodate the special needs of boys with disabilities.
- Webelos Scouts may earn a belt loop or pin a second time to qualify for Webelos activity badges.
- Boys may earn belt loops more than once; however, leaders should encourage boys to try different requirements and earn the pin. Packs should have a clear policy in place about whether the pack or the boy's family is responsible for the cost of awards earned more than once.
CUB-SAFE COLLECTING RESOURCES FOR KIDS
[ TOP ]